Friday, January 27, 2012

Christina Perri - A Thousand Years

Below are sentiments that I recently posted in one of the EA/TEF forums after I had quite an emotional drive in the car because of one song, "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri. I was instantly transported back to my state of mind from mid-November to early-December 2008 when I spent my initial postpartum period visiting my baby in the hospital instead of cuddling with him at home. I felt like I was dying every day, my core so empty, literally and figuratively. But then I saw how unafraid and strong Collin was, even at just days old, and it gave me the strength I needed to get through such a difficult time. Isn't it funny how hearing a song can bring up memories and emotions that you haven't felt in years?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I heard this song the other day on the radio and pretty much bawled my eyes out. Even though Collin is now a thriving, healthy 3-year-old, this song took me back to the NICU days when I was a fragile new mom waiting for my brave baby boy, whom I already loved so deeply, to get well enough to come home, each day being 'one step closer.' I still marvel at the strength of his little body to endure so much.

So to all you parents new to the TEF world, when you are feeling afraid, just take a look at your little miracle and gather courage from him/her. Your baby can feel your immense love and faith and will fight to be with you. Stay strong, and remember you have a family of hundreds right here to help you as well. Despite the hardships of this EA/TEF journey, I would do it all over again to have my Collin exactly the way he is. And it DOES get easier!"
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIdjEzZGdVI

1 comment: