Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros and Cons of a 3-year-old

Being three is hard. Being the parent of a three-year-old is damn near impossible but also just as rewarding at the same time. What a roller coaster of emotions for all involved! Whoever said the 2s were terrible was just preparing us for the next year, I guess. I'd take a 2-year-old over a 3-year-old any day...or would I? Guess it all depends on whether I'm dealing with Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde.

Cons:
- constant whining and "whying"
- ongoing conflict between "I can do it by myself" and "I can't do this," but if you try to step in and try to help even if asked, God forbid! Oh, the drama that ensues!
- no more nap
- bedtime struggles
- always trying to negotiate

Pros:
- amazingly witty and sweet commentary
- can put on shoes and dress self for the most part
- potty trained without any intervention
- able to entertain self with puzzles, coloring, putting things together, etc.
- handles the playground equipment easily and plays games with other kids

And yes, it has been over a month since my potty training vs. learning epiphany. Funny thing - went sent Collin to his aunt and uncle's in underwear for a weekend just one week after I wrote my post. He didn't have any accidents, came home potty-learned, and hasn't turned back!!! I guess he just needed some other adult figure in his life to get him going again. Must have been a purely psychological thing. We have traded napping for using the potty, but I'm okay with that. It had to happen eventually.

3 comments:

  1. hehehe! I told you 3 was hard! It does have good parts too though

    celia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, 3 is tough. We are rounding the corner to 4 and things are improving. Lucky for me, Sean still takes a nap everyday at preschool so he does on the weekends too. But, if we need him to miss we can so that is nice, also. I wonder how different it is having a 3 year old girl? I guess we both have some time before we have to deal with that :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very bipolar, yes? haha Good to hear that four *might* be more low key. What's your experience, Celia? These girls are pretty darn mellow as of now, but that could all change very quickly! We'll just have to wait and see. For now, Olivia is much more mature than Collin. She rolls her eyes at him and his dramatic episodes. It's nice to have someone on my side. :) The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with the nap drop...he gets a solid 12-13 hours at night (I guess that's enough for total sleep?). I'm sure if he saw other kids his age napping during the day, he'd follow along, especially if he had to wake up early in the morning. So it's all relative, and it's all good! I can still count on Olivia to give me a daytime break for the next two years at least.

    ReplyDelete